Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #8

 
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.


This Week's Top Ten is: Top Ten Book Turn-offs


*I could only think of six things so this is my Top Six Tuesday and they are in no particular order.*


 
Animal Abuse/Animals Dying
I'm a huge animal lover and cannot handle reading about animals being hurt or dying. I just can't. 

Repetitive Descriptions
I don't mind descriptions and/or lyrical writing, but once the writer starts describing the same things over and over again with different flowery words it starts to make me a little nuts. 

Lack of humor and/or personality in writing
I get that not all stories should have humor in them, but when writing characters I need the writer to do something to create a unique perspective. I need something (i.e. humor, personality, etc) to make me want to read a character's perspective. 

Deep thoughts and ideas that aren't actually deep
I can handle a little pretension if the moral or point is profound, but I can't stand it when an author tries to sound deep by recycling old, overused ideas. 
 
Books that clearly have plots ripped off from other books
This seems like an obvious one to me, but I've been amazed time and time again as to how many authors try to re-package plots and sell them back to us because the original book was successful. 
 
Terrible Writing
Another obvious one, yet incredibly important. Based on books that have become hugely successful best sellers that are HORRIBLY written *cough-50 shades-cough* it seems writing ability simply doesn't matter anymore and it makes me sad. Luckily there are still amazingly talented writers out there. I just wish more merit was placed on talent. 

 
What are your book turn-offs?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment